THE NEXT GENERATION OF SPONSORSHIP
Since 1851, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine (CSA) have responded to the unmet needs of the underserved through the development of a number of sponsored health and human service ministries. Our congregation has always been committed to responsible and creative stewardship of community resources, and increased collaboration with others to bring God’s love and healing presence to those in need. In 2007, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine formally established the next generation of sponsorship of the ministries of our congregation. It was at that time, in response to our request, that the Vatican issued a decree giving the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine formal approval for a new model that transitioned sponsorship from being entirely held by the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine to a new leadership structure (called public juridic person by the Catholic Church) that includes sisters and laity. In this new model, the CSA congregational leader appoints at least five Members, which may include both laity and religious. Prior to 2007, there were three Members of the Sisters of Charity Health System, each one a Sister of Charity of St. Augustine. In the past and current sponsorship model, the Members are responsible for exercising certain reserved powers such as approval of philosophy and mission, as well as the approval of the CEO, encumbering assets, and joint ventures. Read more in The Next Generation of Sponsorship booklet.
The History and Founding of the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine
The Sisters of Charity Health System was established by the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine (CSA) in 1982 to provide the direct oversight and stewardship of the CSA-sponsored ministries on behalf of the Congregation. The establishment of the Sisters of Charity Health System brought the Congregation’s sponsored ministries together, ensuring a solid base for mission development and encouraging increased collaboration with laity. Today, the Sisters of Charity Health System sponsors more than 20 health and human services organizations in Northeast Ohio and South Carolina. The Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine, since founding in 1851, continues a faith-based legacy of high-quality, compassionate care in partnership with its co-ministers, who are the heart and hands of the ministry. This History and Founding of the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine document provides critical information about the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine’s charism, mission and history, which includes more than 160 years of responsive ministry and a quest for social justice.
LIVING THE MISSION
Living the Mission shares the efforts of various Sisters of Charity Health System ministries to address a broad range of universal community issues with excellence, innovation and compassion. Readers across the country are encouraged to contact us at email@example.com for more information on the various programs.
Join our mailing list to receive a hard-copy of this publication.
The Sisters of Charity Health System e-newsletter shares recent news and updates from the health system and our many ministries. Sign up here to receive the e-newsletter.
From our ministries
Early Childhood Resource Center
Mercy Medical Center
Regina Health Center
Sisters of Charity Foundation of Canton
Sisters of Charity Foundation of Cleveland
Sisters of Charity Foundation of South Carolina