PUBLIC JURIDIC PERSON
SISTERS OF CHARITY HEALTH SYSTEM
SISTERS OF CHARITY OF ST. AUGUSTINE
Sister Judith Ann is a member of the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine and has served as its congregational leader since July 2013. Previously, she served as the president and CEO of the Sisters of Charity Health System from 1998 to 2013.
Sister Judith Ann began her health care career in 1962 and has served as pharmacy technician, pharmacist and health care administrator. She has extensive experience in health care administration, including serving as CEO of several Sisters of Charity Health System hospitals, developing a new joint venture hospital, forming health care partnerships, restructuring partnerships, developing conversion foundations, developing a nursing home serving 22 Catholic religious congregations and lecturing on behalf of the uninsured. Before serving as president and CEO of the Sisters of Charity Health System from 1998 to 2013, Sister Judith Ann served as major superior of the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine.
Following her installation at the centennial assembly, Sister Judith Ann was the 2015-2016 board chair of the Catholic Health Association of the United States. She is a Fellow in the American College of Healthcare Executives. She has served on the boards of hospitals and health care in sponsored entities of the Sisters of Charity Health System since 1973. Her numerous community involvements include serving as a board member of the Greater Cleveland Partnership and the Center for Health Affairs. Also, Sister Judith Ann served on Cuyahoga County Executive’s panel of medical industry and business leaders to oversee the Cleveland Medical Mart and Convention Center project. Prior board memberships include the Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce, Midlands Business Council in Columbia, South Carolina; University Hospitals Health System in Cleveland, Ohio and Columbia HCA Healthcare Corporation. She also served for 12 years as a member of the board of directors of Walsh University in Canton, Ohio, and is now a trustee emeritus. She has served, as well, on the boards of the American Red Cross Cleveland Chapter and the Detroit Shoreway Community Development Organization. She is a member of the Alumni Association of The Ohio State University Health Services Management and Policy Program and serves as a lector at St. Ignatius of Antioch Church in Cleveland, Ohio.
In September of 2013, she received the Sam Miller Goodness Award from Project Love. In 2012, she was bestowed the Humanitarian Award from the Diversity Center of Northeast Ohio and also in the same year honorary induction into the Sigma Beta Delta Walsh University Chapter of the Business Honorary Society. Additional honors include the 2011 Community Health Champion Award from Care Alliance Health Center and in 2008, the Order of the Palmetto, the highest civilian award from the State of South Carolina. In 2007, she received from Pope Benedict the XVI the Pro Ecclesia Et Pontifice honor and from Bishop Robert Baker the Caritas Award for Service to the Diocese of Charleston, South Carolina.
In 2006, Sister Judith Ann received the Distinguished Service Medal from Walsh University and earlier the Ohio Hospital Association Distinguished Service Award. On May 20, 2002, she was awarded an Honorary Degree, Doctor of Humane Letters, from Ursuline College of Cleveland and was commencement speaker. Sister Judith Ann received the Crain’s Cleveland Business 2001 Women of Note Award; the Distinguished Women in Healthcare Award from the Visiting Nurse Association/Healthcare Monitor in 2000 and the Distinguished Alumnus Award from The Ohio State University Health Services Management and Policy program in 1998. In 1971 she was inducted into the Rho Chi Pharmacy Honor Society.
Sister Judith Ann received her Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy from Duquesne University and Master of Science in Hospital and Health Services Administration from The Ohio State University. In 1998, she completed a sabbatical at The American College, Catholic University of Louvain in Belgium. She is a 1986 graduate of Leadership Cleveland and an avid Cleveland Indians and OSU Buckeyes fan.
ADDITIONAL LEADERSHIP ROLES
- Fellow, American College of Healthcare Executives
- Board member, sponsored entities of the Sisters of Charity Health System
- 2015-2016 board chair, Catholic Health Association of the United States
- Member, Center for Health Affairs
- Member, Cuyahoga County Executive’s panel to oversee Cleveland Medical Mart and Convention Center
- Sam Miller Goodness Award from Project Love
- Humanitarian Award (VIDEO) from the Diversity Center of Northeast Ohio
- Community Health Champion Award from Care Alliance Health Center
- Rho Chi Pharmacy Honor Society Inductee
- Order of the Palmetto from the State of South Carolina Pro Ecclesia Et Pontifice from Pope Benedict the XVI
- Caritas Award from the Diocese of Charleston, SC
- Distinguished Service Medal from Walsh University
- Distinguished Service Award from the Ohio Hospital Association
- Honorary Degree, Doctor of Humane Letters, from Ursuline College of Cleveland
- Crain’s Cleveland Business 2001 Women of Note Award
- Distinguished Women in Healthcare Award from Visiting Nurse Association/Healthcare Monitor
- Distinguished Alumnus Award from The Ohio State University
5232 BROADVIEW ROAD
RICHFIELD, OH 44286