Timeline

1851

At the request of the first Bishop of Cleveland, Ohio, the Most Reverend Amadeus Rappe, four Augustinian Sisters from St. Louis Hospital in Boulougne sur Mer, France, travel to Cleveland to become the city's first public health nurses.

1852

On the site of the convent in Ohio City, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine open St. Joseph Hospital, the first public hospital in what later becomes part of the City of Cleveland.

1856

St. Joseph Hospital closes and the building is used to house orphans until the completion of St. Vincent Orphanage in 1859. Several Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine and 100 orphans later move to St. Louis Orphanage in Louisville, Ohio.

1865

On October 10, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine open St. Vincent Charity Hospital in Cleveland with 80 beds and eight sisters as nurses. The hospital's first patients include soldiers returning from the Civic War.

1873

The Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine open Saint Ann Hospital and Infant Home to care for unmarried mothers and neglected children. In 1910, Saint Ann Hospital begins admitting private patients.

1898

The Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine open Cleveland's first School of Nursing at St. Vincent Charity Hospital. Two CSAs later become the second and third women in Ohio to be certified by the State Board of Pharmacy.

1900

More than 100 Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine establish a new motherhouse in Lakewood, Ohio.

1902

The Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine staff Providence Hospital and School of Nursing in Sandusky, Ohio. Their service there ends in 1922 when Sandusky becomes part of the Toledo Diocese.

1908

On September 24, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine open Mercy Hospital (now Mercy Medical Center) in Canton, Ohio. A few years later, the sisters establish Mercy Hospital School of Nursing and Little Flower Hospital for Children near the Mercy campus.

1916

In response to a request from Cleveland Bishop Joseph Schrembs, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine open St. Augustine Academy for grades K – 6 at the Lakewood motherhouse. A year later, the academy expands to include high school students. Throughout the next ten years, the sisters staff many parish schools throughout northern Ohio.

1925

Catholic Charities Corporation in Cleveland, Ohio relocates the orphans care for by the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine at St. Vincent and St. Louis orphanages to a new facility, Parmadale Children's Village, built on 180 acres of land outside the city. Parmadale becomes the nation's first cottage plan home for dependent children.

1928

The Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine begin to direct and staff St. Thomas Hospital in Akron, Ohio. Their ministry there continues until 1971.

1938

At the request of Bishop Emmet M. Walsh of Charleston, South Carolina, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine expand their ministry to open Providence Hospital, the first Catholic hospital in Columbia, South Carolina.

1939

Through the efforts of Dr. Bob Smith, co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous, and Sr. Ignatia Gavin, St. Thomas Hospital becomes the first general hospital in the nation to officially admit alcoholics for care. Sr. Ignatia is still remembered today as "The Angel of Alcoholics Anonymous."

1943

The Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine staff Divine Savior Hospital in York, South Carolina in assistance to the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy. Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine service there continues through 1947.

1951

A new Saint Ann Hospital for women is built on Cleveland's East Boulevard (now Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard). Care for foundlings and other infants is provided at De Paul Infant Home.

In Canton, Ohio, services are consolidated between Little Flower Hospital and Mercy Hospital.

1952

Sr. Ignatia moves to Cleveland and St. Vincent Charity Hospital, where she establishes Rosary Hall, a pioneering treatment center for alcoholics. Rosary Hall gains a national reputation for its excellence in treating chemical apiction.

1957

A new Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine motherhouse, Mount Augustine, is built on 400 acres in Richfield, Ohio for the formation of young sisters and care of the retired.

1963

At Divine Redeemer School in Hanahan, South Carolina, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine serve as principal and teachers through 1967.

1965

Sr. Henrietta Gorris begins work in the riot-torn Hough area of Cleveland, providing education for self reliance, along with food, clothing, housing development and jobs. Her efforts lead to the development of Famicos Foundation in 1970, which continues today to offer affordable lease-purchase housing and job training.

1973

The Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine donate the De Paul Infant Home and property to the Diocese of Cleveland. Saint Ann Hospital is sold and the proceeds used to create the Saint Ann Foundation.

1975

While maintaining property ownership, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine transfer the operation and administration of St. Augustine Academy to the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth.

1981

St. John West Shore Hospital opens in Westlake, Ohio as a joint venture between. St. John Hospital and West Shore Osteopathic Association.

Timken Mercy Medical Center in Canton, Ohio closes its diploma nursing school and forms a new relationship with Walsh College (now Walsh University).

1982

The sisters incorporate the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine Health and Human Services to serve as a parent corporation for their health care facilities. Ten years later, the name is changed to the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine Health System (CSA Health System).

1985

Providence Hospital launches "LifeReach," one of South Carolina's first hospital-based air ambulance services.

St. Vincent Charity Hospital School of Nursing closes its diploma nursing school and forms a news relationship with Ursuline College.

The Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine begin an associate program for lay women and men, married and single, who are eager to participate in the life and charism of the sisters.

1990

Acknowledging the area's population loss and high number of empty hospital beds, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine close St. John Hospital. A year later, the building is sold to St. Augustine Manor.

1992

Health Reach Providence (now Healthy Learners) begins in Columbia, South Carolina, linking a network of providers to economically disadvantaged children in need of basic health services.

1993

The Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine support a $7.5 million renovation of their motherhouse in Richfield, Ohio to build Regina Health Center, a state-of-the-art nursing care facility for retired members of 22 religious congregations, diocesan clergy, and lay men and women. The center is the first of its kind in the nation.

Through an individual ministry and community effort, The Open House is established in Cleveland Heights, Ohio. It is the only non-hospital-based center in the city's east side offering support services to people with HIV/AIDS and their families.

1995

CSA Health System enters into three 50/50 joint ventures partnerships (two in Ohio and one in South Carolina) with an investor-owned health care corporation to ensure the long-term vitality of its health care ministry.

1996

Three Sisters of Charity Foundations, with assets of more than $200 million, are formed in Cleveland and Canton, Ohio and Columbia, South Carolina with the proceeds made available from the formation of the new corporate partnerships. The partnership in Canton acquires Canton's Visiting Nurse Association, aping homecare and hospice services to Mercy Medical Center.

1997

The Interfaith Wellness Ministry in Irvine, Kentucky begins through an individual ministry to help participating church congregations focus on the health of mind, body and spirit.

Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine and community members support the opening of a Catholic Worker House of Peace in Akron, Ohio to provide shelter for women and women with children in need. A second house, Casa Maria Jose, opened in spring 2000 for Spanish-speaking women and children.

St. Luke's Medical Center joins the Cleveland joint venture.

1999

The South Carolina partnership opens the second Catholic hospital in Columbia, South Carolina: Providence Hospital Northeast.

In Ohio, the joint ventures are restructured with a new partner, University Hospitals.

2000

Joseph's Home opens in Cleveland in a renovated convent to provide health care and support programs to homeless men recovering from illness or medical procedures. The transitional facility is one of only a few nationwide.

The Early Childhood Resource Center opens in Canton, Ohio, developed through an initiative of the Sisters of Charity Foundation of Canton to promote quality child care.

2003

The Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine open Centering Space in Lakewood, Ohio. The restful site invites other to come for prayer, listening and direction.

2007

The Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine receive Vatican approval of their request for the Catholic Church to recognize the Sisters of Charity Health System as a Public Juridic Person of pontifical right (PJP). This action shifts corporate decision-making authority from the exclusive scope of the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine to the new PJP, which is governed by both sisters and laity. For the first time, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine officially share sponsorship of their health and human service ministries with lay people.

Blog Posts From

Students think big with Mercy Medical Center surgery robot project

Mercy Medical Center has been the incubator for sixth grade robotics club members to come up with new ideas for the robotic surgery industry. Their work has involved speeding the transfer of medical documentation between the hospital's surgery robot and its electronic health record.[More]

tags: Mercy Medical Center, health care

St. Vincent Charity Medical Center awarded chest pain certification from The Joint Commission

St. Vincent Charity Medical Center has earned The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval for Chest Pain Certification. The Gold Seal of Approval is a symbol of quality that reflects an organization’s commitment to providing safe and effective patient care.[More]

tags: St. Vincent Charity Medical Center, health care

Early Childhood Resource Center highlights SPARK success story

SPARK, which stands for Supporting Partnerships to Assure Ready Kids, is a parent-focused intervention program that gets kids ready for kindergarten. The Early Childhood Resource Center, which handles SPARK management and operations, featured the story of one family who is taking full advantage of the program in its “ECRC Impact” electronic newsletter.[More]

tags: Early Childhood Resource Center, Outreach

Sisters of Charity Foundation of Cleveland celebrating Catholic sisters in Northeast Ohio

National Catholic Sisters Week (NCSW) runs from March 8-14 and the Sisters of Charity Foundation of Cleveland is helping celebrate through involvement with “A Sister to All” event March 12 from 1:00 to 3:30 p.m. at Mount Augustine at 5232 Broadview Road in Richfield, Ohio. The intergenerational event is open the public and is around the topic “Race & Grace – Let’s Talk About It.”[More]

tags: Sisters of Charity Foundation of Cleveland, Foundations

Sisters of Charity Foundation of South Carolina continues to support HALOS kinship care program

The Sisters of Charity Foundation of South Carolina, in partnership with The Duke Endowment, enters into a second year of funding to continue supporting Helping and Lending Outreach Support (HALOS) in its work to improve outcomes for children in the foundation’s Kinship Care program.[More]

tags: Sisters of Charity Foundation of South Carolina, Foundations