For more than 160 years, the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine have shown their true devotion to healing by serving unmet needs of children, adults and families in Ohio and South Carolina.
Their commitment to physical, psychological and spiritual health continues through a range of health and human service organizations, including five state-of-the-art hospitals; two geriatric residential facilities; direct services in health, housing, education, and grantmaking foundations with significant community initiatives that address root causes of poverty.
These diverse ministries comprise the Sisters of Charity Health System. Our organization is unique in scope and stands apart from the more traditional health care systems to which it is often compared. Our health care ministry has built an extensive history of innovation and excellence:
- Midwest’s first open heart surgery performed at Cleveland’s St. Vincent Charity Medical Center
- First accredited chest pain center in the nation at Mercy Medical Center
- First program in South Carolina dedicated exclusively to screening women for risk factors for cardiac disease
Each Sisters of Charity Health System hospital has earned national recognition for cutting-edge achievements in cardiovascular care, orthopedics and other health services.
Equally important, our physicians and caregivers support the solemn belief of the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine that health care is not a privilege for some, but a right for all. Our hospitals provide more than $35 million in uncompensated care each year. These health care centers, including a continuum of assisted living and skilled nursing care for the elderly, are only part of who we are.
The Sisters of Charity Health System includes a broad spectrum of services to heal the whole person as an individual, member of a family and part of the community. In all, we provide more than $46 million in direct, uncompensated benefits annually to the communities we serve. Our foundation ministries—the Sisters of Charity Foundations located in Cleveland and Canton, Ohio and South Carolina—have invested more than $10 million annually in their communities since being established in 1996. Collectively, their total investment of more than $110 million has improved systems and individual lives of people in need.
The Sisters of Charity Health System is a diverse Catholic organization with $1 billion dollars in assets dedicated to carrying forward the healing mission of Jesus Christ. We are a beacon of hope for individuals and families in the communities we serve. Following are just some of our accomplishments:
- Saving lives at South Carolina’s leading cardiovascular center
- Providing oral health services to underserved residents in Stark County through a unique dental residency program
- Supporting the addition of 4,000 units of affordable housing in Northeast Ohio
- Launching seven fatherhood programs with 12 sites, helping more than 6,400 fathers across South Carolina
- Helping more than 400 homeless men recover from illness and find permanent homes
- Providing long-term care for more than 300 Ohio seniors
- Increasing accredited child care centers in Stark County, Ohio from one to nearly 50 to increase quality of care
- Getting thousands of Ohio children ready for kindergarten
We are devoted to healing.