October 27, 2015

Mercy Medical Center unveils school of nursing history display

The Mercy School of Nursing Alumni Association recently dedicated its new historic wall display, located in Mercy Medical Center’s Mercy Hall auditorium. Entitled “Mercy School of Nursing, 1908-1984, A Legacy of Caring,” the display features history, memorabilia, artifacts, alumni portraits and more. Mercy Chaplain Father Donald Feicht conducted the blessing ceremony. The display was designed by a local Canton artist.

Gloria Kline, a member of the nursing faculty at the time of the school’s closure in 1984, is the current president of the alumni association. “The memorial wall commemorating Mercy School of Nursing is an ideal tribute to the school's graduates, program, and, of course, founders—the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine,” said Kline. “Its graduates continue to carry out the school’s mission in our own lives and in the lives of our patients.”

Mercy Hall was once the site of the former nursing school. It was established by three of the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine, who arrived in Canton in 1908 at the request of Bishop Horstmann, Diocese of Cleveland, to establish and direct a new hospital. 

Mercy Hospital opened in 1908, and, to ensure the continuation of its health care philosophy, the sisters welcomed six young women as the first students of the Mercy Training School for Nurses that same year. 

The Report of Mercy Hospital, 1908-1911, states, “The purpose of the training school is to assist young ladies, who are qualified, to nurse the sick in an intelligent manner, and to assist them spiritually and physically to attain the highest aim of their existence.”

Pictured in the photos are:

Photo 1
The Mercy School of Nursing’s new historic wall display is located in Mercy Medical Center’s Mercy Hall Auditorium features history, memorabilia, artifacts, outstanding alumni portraits and more.

Photo 2
Gloria Kline, part of the nursing faculty at the time of Mercy School of Nursing’s closure in 1984 and current president of its alumni association, addresses alumni at the recent homecoming dinner.

Photo 3
Members of the Mercy School of Nursing Class of 1960 gathered for a group photo during the alumni association’s recent homecoming dinner. Janet Chenevey Duffy (front row, fourth from right) was honored as the 2015 Mercy School of Nursing Outstanding Alumnus.

Mercy Medical Center is a ministry of the Sisters of Charity Health System.

About Us

From its Cleveland headquarters, the Sisters of Charity Health System provides oversight, leadership and strategic direction to more than 20 organizations responding to community needs in Canton and Cleveland, Ohio, and South Carolina.

Follow us on Twitter

Archives