To our employees, friends, community leaders, and all those for and with whom we serve,
We want you to be among the first to know that we, the Sisters of Charity Health System, have signed a letter of intent for Providence Hospital and Providence Orthopedic Hospital in Columbia, South Carolina to be acquired by LifePoint Health. This is a positive opportunity to strengthen Providence for the future and continue its growth as a health care leader in South Carolina. We are pleased that Providence will remain a Catholic health care provider as part of the Diocese of Charleston throughout and beyond this process.
LifePoint Health fits the future needs of Providence Hospitals, its employees, volunteers, medical staff and patients. LifePoint shares our belief in the importance of supporting the health and well-being of our communities, and dedication to quality care and service. As part of LifePoint, Providence will have additional resources to invest in new technology and services to better serve the health care needs of South Carolinians.
Providence and LifePoint are committed to:
- Continuing Providence’s Catholic identity, mission and ministry services as part of the Diocese of Charleston
- Providing charity care for those in need
- Advancing innovation, quality of care and service to the community
- Growing primary care services to address the health and wellness needs of our community
- Expanding clinical services and continuing to advance Providence’s leadership in cardiac care and orthopedics
- Engaging physicians to further enhance high quality, safe, patient-centered care
- Retaining Providence employees, subject to industry standard pre-employment screenings
- Being a strong community partner and involving the local community in Providence’s governance
Over the next 60 to 90 days, Sisters of Charity Health System and Providence Hospitals leadership will undertake a due diligence process to ensure that this proposed transaction is in every way positive for Providence and the people it serves. Following due diligence, we expect to enter into a definitive agreement.
For more than 75 years, the Sisters of Charity Health System’s founding sisters and our many co-ministers have served the people of South Carolina. The Sisters of Charity Health System continues our mission of healing in South Carolina through three remarkable ministries: the Sisters of Charity Foundation of South Carolina, Healthy Learners, and the South Carolina Center for Fathers and Families. These three organizations are united in mission to address the unmet needs of individuals, families and communities.
Together with all of our ministries in Ohio and South Carolina, we carry forward the legacy of the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine. We thank you for your support of the Sisters of Charity Health System and our ministries. We appreciate your support of Providence Hospitals and its bright future. We look forward to sharing more information with you in the weeks to come.
Terrence P. Kessler
President & CEO
Sisters of Charity Health System