October 10, 2012
The Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Cleveland concluded its yearlong 100th anniversary celebration with an awards dinner on September 29 in Cleveland where it recognized the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine and several individuals as its first members of the Hall of Hope.
Catholic Charities of Cleveland recognized the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine for being “a cornerstone and driving inspiration of Catholic Charities. First coming from France in 1851 to establish a hospital to serve everyone in Cleveland, those efforts lead to St. Vincent Charity Hospital as we know it today.”
More than 500 people attended the awards dinner and heard keynote speaker, Senator George Voinovich (retired), discuss the great service Catholic Charities has brought to all of Ohio. Cleveland Bishop Richard Lennon traced the long history of Catholic Charities through the efforts of the many bishops during the past 100 years. Catholic Charities of Cleveland is the largest Catholic Charities system in the world.
The Sisters of Charity Health System was established in 1982 as the parent corporation for the sponsored ministries of the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine in Ohio and South Carolina.