October 4, 2012
Building Healthy Communities and St. Vincent Charity Medical Center are hosting the seventh annual Celebration of Wellness interactive family health day Wednesday, October 10 at St. Vincent Charity Medical Center from noon to 5 p.m.
The Celebration of Wellness event is free and open to residents of Cleveland’s Central Neighborhood. It is designed to help support healthier lifestyles in Central Neighborhood, which has been home to the medical center since 1865.
The event features a number of activities that promote health and wellness, including:
- A noon walk/run around the hospital’s campus, after which participants receive free t-shirts
- Health screenings with medical professionals, including podiatry exams
- Information regarding diabetes, stroke, sickle cell anemia, breast health and more
- A limited supply of free flu shots
- Workshops presented by Garden Boyz (BHC’s youth urban farmers) and volunteers about how to freeze fresh vegetables, how to make a fall container garden, how to use fresh herbs in cooking and how to make healthy after-school snacks
- After-school activities for children, including pumpkin decorating, jump rope competitions, football throwing contests and more
What: Celebration of Wellness interactive family health day
When: Wednesday, October 10; noon to 5 p.m. (walk/run begins at noon)
Where: St. Vincent Charity Medical Center, 2351 East 22nd Street (Meet at the School of Nursing Boler Family Memorial Garden facing Central Avenue on the northeast corner of the hospital’s campus.)
The Celebration of Wellness event is sponsored by St. Vincent Charity Medical Center and the Sisters of Charity Foundation of Cleveland.
For more information, call 216.571.1266 to speak with Sharon Glaspie, director of Building Healthy Communities, which is a grassroots neighborhood program that helps people in the Central Neighborhood of downtown Cleveland improve their health.
Building Healthy Communities, St. Vincent Charity Medical Center and the Sisters of Charity Foundation of Cleveland are ministries of the Sisters of Charity Health System.