November 9, 2012

Mercy Medical Center honors ICU nurse Lito Espinosa as a star performer employee

Mercy Medical Center named Lito Espinosa, a registered nurse in the intensive care unit (ICU), Mercy’s Star Performer employee for September. The Star Performer program is the hospital’s employee recognition and rewards program. Hospital employees, volunteers and staff are nominated each month for demonstrating outstanding performance, being a team player, going above and beyond, being creative and innovative, and championing service excellence. Espinosa was nominated for showing extreme compassion and caring for his patients and their family members, including those patients with life-threatening situations.  Co-workers in Mercy’s ICU are very impressed with his dedication and exemplary patient care. Espinosa was presented the award by Mercy President and CEO Thomas E. Cecconi, ICU Clinical Nurse Manager Christina Ashcraft and Human Resources Manager Charity Davis. Mercy Medical Center is a ministry of the Sisters of Charity Health System. Pictured left to right are: Thomas E. Cecconi, president and CEO of Mercy Medical Center, Christina Ashcraft, clinical nurse manager, Lito Espinosa and Charity Davis, human resources manager.
November 6, 2012

Judge Kenneth Rocco and Joseph Maurer join Regina Health Center Board of Directors

Regina Health Center, a high-quality provider of compassionate and holistic health care services for religious and lay people needing short-term rehabilitation, assisted living, respite care or residential nursing care, has appointed Judge Kenneth A. Rocco and Joseph C. Maurer, CPA, to its board of directors. [More]
November 5, 2012

Mercy Medical Center unveils new video highlighting its rich history and ongoing mission

Dedication to excellence. Devotion to healing. Mercy Medical Center has championed both since the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine opened the hospital September 12, 1908, in Canton, Ohio, in the former home of President William McKinley. Mercy was Stark County’s first and only Catholic hospital, and was open to everyone, rich and poor alike, regardless of religious faith or nationality. A new video highlights Mercy Medical Center’s rich history, starting in 1851 when the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine came to Cleveland from France and then Stark County in 1883, and eventually opening a hospital in 1908 in downtown Canton. It was due to the generosity of Mrs. Rosa Klorer that the Sisters were called to Canton to establish a Catholic hospital. Mrs. Rosa Klorer purchased the McKinley home at Market and 8th Street Northwest in Canton and deeded its use as a hospital. The Sisters converted the McKinley home into an 18-bed hospital named Mercy in honor of Our Lady of Mercy. Mercy eventually expanded three times to meet the needs of a growing community. In 1950, W. Robert and Henry H. Timken gave the Sisters the H.H. Timken residence along with 30 acres of land. Timken Mercy Hospital opened in 1952 as a 68-bed satellite to Mercy Hospital. Building additions in 1953, 1957 and 1970 at Timken Mercy led to the closing of the old Mercy Hospital in 1970, with all services being consolidated at the Timken Mercy campus. The Stark County District Library now stands on the old Mercy Hospital site. Timken Mercy Hospital became Timken Mercy Medical Center in 1979 to reflect its expanded role in community health care beyond traditional hospital services. The video also highlights Mercy’s ongoing mission to continue Christ’s healing ministry by providing quality, compassionate, accessible and affordable care for the whole person, as well as some of the challenges facing Mercy Medical Center and the importance of keeping employees and physicians educated in the traditions and commitments of Catholic health care. Mercy Medical Center is a ministry of the Sisters of Charity Health System. Today, Mercy has 476 beds, 620 members on its medical staff, and employs 2,500 people. Mercy continues to serve as Stark County's only Catholic hospital. To view the video, click on the links above or click here.
November 1, 2012

2012 Harvest Ball raises $270,000 to renovate Mercy’s Department of Emergency Medicine

Mercy Service League held its 2012 Harvest Ball on Saturday, October 27 in the Canton Memorial Civic Center’s McKinley Room. The event raised nearly $270,000 to benefit Mercy Emergency Department’s renovation and expansion project. [More]
October 31, 2012

Building Healthy Communities offers free cooking classes for children, teens and moms

Building Healthy Communities hosts free four-week cooking classes for children, teens and moms in Cleveland’s Central and Kinsman neighborhoods to teach healthy eating habits, and how to prepare healthy meals and snacks. Twenty children recently completed Jr. Chef classes taught by Sharon Glaspie, director of Building Healthy Communities, at the new CornUcopia Place kitchen in Cleveland’s Kinsman neighborhood. The Jr. Chef classes, which Glaspie taught with the help of three members of the Garden Boyz, featured lessons on whole grains and high antioxidant foods. Jr. Chef students learned how to make muffins, pumpkin smoothies, turkey burgers and Halloween apple teeth using high antioxidant Red Delicious apples. “It’s important to reach children at an early age because healthy eating habits learned early in life help form the basis for developing a healthy adult lifestyle,” said Glaspie. Mom Chef classes begin Tuesday, November 6 at CornUcopia Place, where Glaspie will teach mothers how to prepare healthy meals that their children will enjoy. The free classes will run for four weeks every Tuesday from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Contact Julia DiBaggio at 216-341-1455 to reserve a spot in the class or for more information. CornUcopia Place is a community space providing nutrition education, cooking demonstrations, an open event space to be shared with the neighborhood, and a harvest preparation facility for use by local market gardeners. Jr. Chef, Teen Chef and Mom Chef classes are also held on Mondays at Arbor Park Village in Cleveland’s Central neighborhood. Building Healthy Communities is a ministry of the Sisters of Charity Health System. Pictured are participants in a recent Jr. Chef class, learning to make healthy whole grain muffins.
October 26, 2012

Cleveland Central Promise Neighborhood ambassador receives Most Treasured Volunteer Award

Promise Ambassador and founder of Men & Women of Central Jerome Baker was recently honored as a Most Treasured Volunteer by The Center for Community Solutions. Promise Ambassador Lillie Hunter received a commendation from the center. The Sisters of Charity Foundation of Cleveland nominated the two for their outstanding and unselfish work in Cleveland's Central Neighborhood. [More]
October 24, 2012

St. Vincent Charity Medical Center hosts Pizzazz fundraising event for nearly 1,000

Nearly 1,000 friends and supporters of St. Vincent Charity Medical Center enjoyed the Pizzazz 2012 Gala October 13 at Cleveland Public Hall in downtown Cleveland. Pizzazz is the signature fundraising event supporting the mission of St. Vincent Charity Medical Center. This year’s event is expected to generate more than $675,000. In addition to dinner, a live auction and dancing to the music of the Jerry Bruno orchestra, St. Vincent Charity Medical Center presented the St. Vincent de Paul Award to Jack and Mary Jane Breen (pictured to the right) and PNC Bank at the event. The honorees were recognized for their steadfast commitment to and unwavering embrace of the values exemplified by Catholic social teaching. The award is given in honor of St. Vincent de Paul, the patron saint of St. Vincent Charity Medical Center who embodied the spirit of true charity. It is given to a community leader and a corporate organization that exemplify the spirit of St. Vincent through servant leadership, friendship, counsel and community involvement toward the greater good of the Cleveland community. “It is through the generous support of individuals such as Jack and Mary Jane Breen and organizations such as PNC Bank that St. Vincent Charity can continue meeting the needs of the community,” said David F. Perse, M.D., president and CEO of St. Vincent Charity. “They truly embody the spirit and teachings of St. Vincent de Paul and their leadership serves as a great example for others.” The St. Vincent de Paul Award was presented by Sister Judith Ann Karam, CSA, president and CEO of the Sisters of Charity Health System, and Christopher M. Connor, chairman and CEO of Sherwin-Williams and chairman of the event. Proceeds from the gala support St. Vincent Charity Medical Center’s ongoing commitment to provide clinically excellent and compassionate care to all. St. Vincent Charity Medical Center is a ministry of the Sisters of Charity Health System. To see more photos from the event, click here.
October 12, 2012

Mercy Medical Center’s emergency department renovation to benefit from 2012 Harvest Ball

Mercy Service League is holding its 2012 Harvest Ball on Saturday, October 27, to benefit Mercy Medical Center’s emergency department (E.D.) renovation and expansion. [More]
October 12, 2012

St. John Medical Center offers appointments online for emergency room service

Co-owned by the Sisters of Charity Health System and University Hospitals, St. John Medical Center is one of eight University Hospitals (UH) emergency rooms where patients can now make an appointment online and wait their turn in the comfort of their home. [More]
October 10, 2012

Catholic Charities of Cleveland names Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine inaugural Hall of Hope member

The Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Cleveland concluded its yearlong 100th anniversary celebration with an awards dinner on September 29 in Cleveland where it recognized the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine and several individuals as its first members of the Hall of Hope. Catholic Charities of Cleveland recognized the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine for being “a cornerstone and driving inspiration of Catholic Charities. First coming from France in 1851 to establish a hospital to serve everyone in Cleveland, those efforts lead to St. Vincent Charity Hospital as we know it today.” More than 500 people attended the awards dinner and heard keynote speaker, Senator George Voinovich (retired), discuss the great service Catholic Charities has brought to all of Ohio. Cleveland Bishop Richard Lennon traced the long history of Catholic Charities through the efforts of the many bishops during the past 100 years. Catholic Charities of Cleveland is the largest Catholic Charities system in the world. The Sisters of Charity Health System was established in 1982 as the parent corporation for the sponsored ministries of the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine in Ohio and South Carolina.

About Us

From its Cleveland headquarters, the Sisters of Charity Health System provides oversight, leadership and strategic direction to more than 20 organizations responding to community needs in Canton and Cleveland, Ohio, and South Carolina.

Follow us on Twitter

Archives