November 6, 2012

Judge Kenneth Rocco and Joseph Maurer join Regina Health Center Board of Directors

Regina Health Center, a high-quality provider of compassionate and holistic health care services for religious and lay people needing short-term rehabilitation, assisted living, respite care or residential nursing care, has appointed Judge Kenneth A. Rocco and Joseph C. Maurer, CPA, to its board of directors. [More]
November 5, 2012

Mercy Medical Center unveils new video highlighting its rich history and ongoing mission

Dedication to excellence. Devotion to healing. Mercy Medical Center has championed both since the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine opened the hospital September 12, 1908, in Canton, Ohio, in the former home of President William McKinley. Mercy was Stark County’s first and only Catholic hospital, and was open to everyone, rich and poor alike, regardless of religious faith or nationality. A new video highlights Mercy Medical Center’s rich history, starting in 1851 when the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine came to Cleveland from France and then Stark County in 1883, and eventually opening a hospital in 1908 in downtown Canton. It was due to the generosity of Mrs. Rosa Klorer that the Sisters were called to Canton to establish a Catholic hospital. Mrs. Rosa Klorer purchased the McKinley home at Market and 8th Street Northwest in Canton and deeded its use as a hospital. The Sisters converted the McKinley home into an 18-bed hospital named Mercy in honor of Our Lady of Mercy. Mercy eventually expanded three times to meet the needs of a growing community. In 1950, W. Robert and Henry H. Timken gave the Sisters the H.H. Timken residence along with 30 acres of land. Timken Mercy Hospital opened in 1952 as a 68-bed satellite to Mercy Hospital. Building additions in 1953, 1957 and 1970 at Timken Mercy led to the closing of the old Mercy Hospital in 1970, with all services being consolidated at the Timken Mercy campus. The Stark County District Library now stands on the old Mercy Hospital site. Timken Mercy Hospital became Timken Mercy Medical Center in 1979 to reflect its expanded role in community health care beyond traditional hospital services. The video also highlights Mercy’s ongoing mission to continue Christ’s healing ministry by providing quality, compassionate, accessible and affordable care for the whole person, as well as some of the challenges facing Mercy Medical Center and the importance of keeping employees and physicians educated in the traditions and commitments of Catholic health care. Mercy Medical Center is a ministry of the Sisters of Charity Health System. Today, Mercy has 476 beds, 620 members on its medical staff, and employs 2,500 people. Mercy continues to serve as Stark County's only Catholic hospital. To view the video, click on the links above or click here.
October 29, 2012

Providence Hospitals and Sisters of Charity Foundation of South Carolina award $10,000 to Free Medical Clinic of Columbia

Providence Hospitals and the Sisters of Charity Foundation of South Carolina partnered to provide the Free Medical Clinic of Columbia in Columbia, South Carolina, with a $10,000 award. The Free Medical Clinic of Columbia provides health care at no cost to individuals and families who cannot pay for services and without health insurance. It also provides medications, diabetic supplies and patient education. George Zara, president and CEO of Providence Hospitals, said, “Providence is honored to present the Free Medical Clinic of Columbia with this grant along with our Sister ministry, the Sisters of Charity Foundation of South Carolina. The clinic’s dedication to Columbia’s underserved residents is true to the spirit of our hospitals’ mission, which is to extend the healing ministry of Jesus Christ to God’s people.” “The foundation’s vision is for families in this state to have the resources to live out of poverty, and access to health care is often a determining factor,” said Tom Keith, president of the Sisters of Charity Foundation of South Carolina. “The Free Medical Clinic serves families residing around both the hospital and foundation and this funding will help strengthen and support their work as they serve those in our community.” The Sisters of Charity Foundation of South Carolina and Providence Hospitals are ministries of the Sisters of Charity Health System. Pictured: Tom Keith, president of the Sisters of Charity Foundation of South Carolina, (left) and George Zara, president and CEO of Providence Hospitals (right) present Dennis Coker, executive director of the The Columbia Free Medical Clinic, (middle) with a check for $10,000.
October 24, 2012

St. Vincent Charity Medical Center hosts Pizzazz fundraising event for nearly 1,000

Nearly 1,000 friends and supporters of St. Vincent Charity Medical Center enjoyed the Pizzazz 2012 Gala October 13 at Cleveland Public Hall in downtown Cleveland. Pizzazz is the signature fundraising event supporting the mission of St. Vincent Charity Medical Center. This year’s event is expected to generate more than $675,000. In addition to dinner, a live auction and dancing to the music of the Jerry Bruno orchestra, St. Vincent Charity Medical Center presented the St. Vincent de Paul Award to Jack and Mary Jane Breen (pictured to the right) and PNC Bank at the event. The honorees were recognized for their steadfast commitment to and unwavering embrace of the values exemplified by Catholic social teaching. The award is given in honor of St. Vincent de Paul, the patron saint of St. Vincent Charity Medical Center who embodied the spirit of true charity. It is given to a community leader and a corporate organization that exemplify the spirit of St. Vincent through servant leadership, friendship, counsel and community involvement toward the greater good of the Cleveland community. “It is through the generous support of individuals such as Jack and Mary Jane Breen and organizations such as PNC Bank that St. Vincent Charity can continue meeting the needs of the community,” said David F. Perse, M.D., president and CEO of St. Vincent Charity. “They truly embody the spirit and teachings of St. Vincent de Paul and their leadership serves as a great example for others.” The St. Vincent de Paul Award was presented by Sister Judith Ann Karam, CSA, president and CEO of the Sisters of Charity Health System, and Christopher M. Connor, chairman and CEO of Sherwin-Williams and chairman of the event. Proceeds from the gala support St. Vincent Charity Medical Center’s ongoing commitment to provide clinically excellent and compassionate care to all. St. Vincent Charity Medical Center is a ministry of the Sisters of Charity Health System. To see more photos from the event, click here.
October 12, 2012

Mercy Medical Center’s emergency department renovation to benefit from 2012 Harvest Ball

Mercy Service League is holding its 2012 Harvest Ball on Saturday, October 27, to benefit Mercy Medical Center’s emergency department (E.D.) renovation and expansion. [More]
October 12, 2012

St. John Medical Center offers appointments online for emergency room service

Co-owned by the Sisters of Charity Health System and University Hospitals, St. John Medical Center is one of eight University Hospitals (UH) emergency rooms where patients can now make an appointment online and wait their turn in the comfort of their home. [More]
October 9, 2012

St. Vincent Charity Medical Center and Project Learn to host the Ohio Health Literacy Conference

The cost of low health literacy to the United States economy is $106 billion to $236 billion annually. In response, St. Vincent Charity Medical Center and Project Learn are presenting the Ohio Health Literacy Conference October 26 in Cleveland.
[More]
October 4, 2012

St. Vincent Charity Medical Center to host Mass and open house October 16 concluding Rosary Hall 60th anniversary celebration

Rosary Hall at St. Vincent Charity Medical Center concludes its 60th anniversary year with a special Mass and open house Tuesday, October 16. The public is invited to share in this special event. The event begins with Mass at 2 p.m. in the Holy Trinity Chapel at St. Vincent Charity Medical Center. Fr. Jim O’Donnell, cousin of Sister Ignatia Gavin, CSA, founder of Rosary Hall, will celebrate Mass. Immediately following, Rosary Hall will host an open house with refreshments and an opportunity to meet staff and learn more about this legacy program of the Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine (CSA). “For 60 years, Rosary Hall has provided treatment, support and hope for persons and families affected by addiction,” said David F. Perse, MD, president and CEO of St. Vincent Charity Medical Center, which is a ministry of the Sisters of Charity Health System. “We are proud of the great work being done to help individuals find freedom from addiction and invite the public to celebrate with us this historic program and its great work.” Since its opening in 1952, Rosary Hall has welcomed more than 62,000 patients seeking addiction treatment through its doors.  It was the first hospital-based treatment program designed to treat the disease of alcoholism. Sister Ignatia worked closely with Dr. Robert Smith, founder of Alcoholics Anonymous at St. Thomas Hospital in Akron and again at St. Vincent Charity, to establish the program. Today Rosary Hall includes a 17-bed inpatient detoxification unit, intensive outpatient program, individualized counseling, after-care, family programs, case-managed transition into community and support networks and medication-assisted treatment.  Annually it treats about 1,500 patients. Located in the heart of downtown Cleveland, Rosary Hall offers convenient access to care for those living and working in the city as well as its surrounding suburbs. St. Vincent Charity Medical Center is a ministry of the Sisters of Charity Health System. For more information about the event, call 216-363-2590 or visit www.stvincentcharity.com.
October 2, 2012

Mercy Medical Center named one of nation’s top cardiovascular hospitals for sixth time

Mercy Medical Center has been named one of the nation’s 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals by Truven Health Analytics. The study examined the performance of more than 1,000 hospitals by analyzing outcomes for patients with heart failure and heart attacks, and for those who received coronary bypass surgery and percutaneous coronary interventions such as angioplasties. This is the sixth time that Mercy Medical Center has been recognized with this honor. This year’s winners were announced October 1 in Modern Healthcare magazine. [More]
October 1, 2012

St. John Medical Center Cancer Program accredited by the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons

The Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons (ACoS) has Granted Three Year Accreditation with Commendation to the Cancer Program at St. John Medical Center. [More]

About Us

From its Cleveland headquarters, the Sisters of Charity Health System provides oversight, leadership and strategic direction to more than 20 organizations responding to community needs in Canton and Cleveland, Ohio, and South Carolina.

Follow us on Twitter

Archives